Sleeping bags and pads are some of the most vital and important items when it comes to overnight camping.
A warm and comfortable bag and pad can make the difference between a good night’s sleep and a ruined trip. The quality of sleep you receive while on a camping trip will have a dramatic effect on the quality of your daytime activities.
There are many factors that go into choosing the right sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Answer these important questions while shopping for a bag or pad:
- What type of weather will you be camping in?
- Will temperatures generally be cold, warm, or hot?
- Will the area be wet or is there a forecast for rain?
- How important is durability to you?
- How often will you use your sleeping bag and pad?
- Will your bag or pad be put through a lot of wear and tear while on you're trip?
- Are weight and packability a consideration?
- Are you going on a long backpacking trip or packing a vehicle with your gear?
- How comfortable do you need to be to get a good night’s sleep?
- What is your budget?
Once you know what type of features you are looking for in a sleeping bag or pad, it is time to decide which one is right for you. Use the charts below to see which categories best fit your needs:
*Temperature ratings identify the lowest temperature at which a bag is intended to keep the average sleeper warm, assuming that the sleeper is wearing a layer of long underwear and using a sleeping pad under the bag.
Sleeping Bag Fill
Sleeping Bag and Pad Shapes